Saturday, December 12, 2009

Tiger: Still the King of the Jungle?

Yesterday, I was in a great store called "Whole Earth Provision Co." when I noticed a children's book called "King of the Jungle". I noticed it because the entire front cover was a cropped, stylized picture of a tiger's face. My mind instantly jumped to a topic that has been on my mind frequently over the past few days: the unfolding Tiger Woods drama. Over the past week or so, as facts, guesses, and probably some outright lies have surfaced, my thoughts on this new American tragedy have morphed almost on a daily basis. Some of my opinions have begun to hold steady, and I want to share some of those with you.

First, while the revelations of Tiger's infidelity have shown the public at least one flaw in the character of the greatest golfer most of us have ever seen, I think it has shown us something deeper. Again. There exists in our culture a insatiable appetite to hear all the juicy details of the lives of others. This lust for information has created numerous streams of gossip gathering mechanisms, many of which will stop at nothing to get the dirt. Occasionally, some public figure will get caught being naughty and we'll all get to see the pictures, and then everything goes back to normal. Occasionally, Russell Crowe will throw a telephone at a hotel employee, or John Mayer will be photographed wearing a "banana hammock". Some celebrities have been known to quietly distribute photos of their new kid or their secret wedding in order to keep the frenzy to a minimum. At other times, the constant hounding can lead to disaster, as in the case with Princess Diana a few years ago. As with this ongoing Tiger Woods "situation" , these cases serve to point out a flaw in the fabric of humanity. Why is it interesting to us to see other people's lives unravel? Why do we take so much pleasure in the miscues of others? Why should it matter to us whether Mel Gibson makes anti-semitic remarks after a night of heavy drinking or has a mistress on an island somewhere? What is it about us that makes it such a big story when Britney Spears loses her mind and possibly her children? It seems apparent that Tiger's marriage is in trouble, but the fact that we see it on television everyday is further evidence that our culture is in trouble as well.

Secondly, I've heard at least a dozen people make comments related to being disappointed with Tiger over this mess. While I understand that because of media coverage, some feel a certain connection to Tiger, none of us know him or have any stock in his character (it's OK to keep drinking Gatorade and wearing your Nikes). His mom can be disappointed. Jesper Parnevik (the PGA golfer that introduced Tiger to his wife) can be disappointed. They probably have some neighbors that are hurt by this fiasco. But why should we take Tiger's indiscretions personally? Tiger is famous because he has amazing skill with a golf club. We watch him because he is dominant on the golf course. He is interesting because there are times when the odds in Vegas are even: Tiger or the field to win a tournament. He has no moral contract with America. We tune in because of his skill at playing a game. In my opinion, it's hypocritical to boycott (as some have said they will) the PGA or Gatorade because of Tiger's indiscretions, but continue to watch other sports, go to movies, and listen to music in which the performers have character flaws identical to Mr. Woods. While I think that Tiger's recently revealed marital infidelities are wrong and hurtful to his family, it seems silly that some among the general public feel personally hurt by this. Some have questioned Tiger's role as role model. He still is a role model. He's a regular guy that has worked his whole life to be great at one thing, and his work ethic (along with SICK ability) have paid off for him in spades. Why would we expect him to be a moral role model? Isn't that what fathers are for? Or pastors, or uncles, or neighbors?

Third, I think that we have zero understanding what a guy like Tiger has gone through. Don't think I've never considered what it would be like to have a Billion dollars in my account, because I have, but I wouldn't want it. Honestly, I wouldn't. Everywhere Tiger goes, someone wants a piece of him. He can't leave his house without a camera in his face and someone with a microphone asking him stupid questions. His wife, the Swedish supermodel, is in the same boat. How would I respond if I was good looking, famous, alone on the road all the time, and had so much money that I could buy anything I wanted anytime? What would life be like if I could never work another day in my life and still buy anything, but I couldn't leave my own house? I'm not asking you to feel sorry for Tiger Woods. I am also not attempting to excuse anything he has done. I am saying that you and I have no clue what it's like to be him. I am also saying that I think it's close to a certainty that wealth and fame is completely overrated.

Finally, let me say that I hope Tiger is able to put his personal life back together. I hope that he and his wife are able to make their marriage work. I honestly don't think they can do it if they stay in America. I think Tiger will have to rearrange how he does everything in his day to day routine. I think Elin will have to find a way to trust him again, which will be exceptionally difficult. I wonder if we will take as much interest in the "King of the Jungle" if he ends up a successful family man, but never plays another professional golf tournament?

No comments: