Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Angels Sigh

There is a song by James Taylor called Copperline. He explains that it is a song about growing up in North Carolina. It is really amazing. It's one of those songs that remind you that a magical mix of lyrics and melody can take your heart places. It reinforces my belief that the heart knows about places the mind has yet to see. Anyway, I happened to listen to it today, and, as usual, I got swept up in it. There's a little bridge at the end that says this:



"Day breaks and the boy wakes up

And the dog barks and the birds sing

And the sap rises and the angels sigh

yeah"



For some reason, when I heard those lines today I thought of my daughter, AJ. I thought, "What would make an angel sigh?" And I kept thinking about AJ's beautiful blue eyes. For sure, if angels do sigh, I think those eyes would do it. So I was really having myself a moment in the suburban on the way home. So I pull into the driveway, and can you believe it? Tracy has just beaten me home. AJ is standing near the driveway, waving at me. Tracy goes on into the house, and AJ comes around the suburban to meet me. She was grinning ear to ear, reaching up to take my hand. She and I walk to the porch, up the steps, and toward the front door. Right before I reach for the door, she exclaims, "Dadddeeee!", apparently just for the sheer joy of the moment. I looked down at her and she's giving me the million dollar smile with those eyes the color of clearest sky you've ever seen. The weight of that moment was almost more that I could take. I wondered for a second how the heart knows about those places. It was good.

1 comment:

The Weisgerbers said...

mmm. that was refreshing to read...